Site last modified February 19, 2004
The Abortion Rights Struggle:
Prochoice vs. Anti
Letting pro-choice and anti-choice activists make their case in their own words.
|| copyright 1998 by Pete Wagner
If this is your first visit to this site . . .
This is a prochoice website. I wish to show you a side of the abortion rights struggle that some people may not understand. Though many years have passed since the Supreme Court's decision in Roe v. Wade, there are still a number of people who remain strongly opposed to abortion. They have a right to express themselves -- that doesn't bother me. But a small and very active core of the leaders of the antiabortion movement believe that they must end abortion by any means necessary, including bombs, guns, knives, arson and kidnapping. I have links to these peoples' websites so that you can see how they make their case in favor of antiabortion violence. You will also see on my pages links to racists and to people who are anti-gay. Those links are here to show you how these people are tied to the antiabortion movement. As well you'll find on my pages links to people and groups who are progressive and prochoice. Mostly I agree with them, but with all websites, when you enter their pages, you have left mine for the moment, and you are their guest.
If you'd like to read a more detailed statement and the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions, click here.
New this week
- New This Week
See the links that have been added to the website this week.
- New Last Week See the links that were added to the website last week.
- In Paul Hill's Footsteps Activists who follow the example of executed assassin Paul Hill in word and deed.
- Antiabortion Extremists for and against Paul Hill Some proclaim him a Saint, others demand his execution.
- Eric Rudolph: his supporters and his detractors Even in the antiabortion scene, some condemn the actions of Rudolph.
- James Kopp Portrayed as a Hero As the first stages of his murder trial begin, James Kopp's fanatical admirers declare "Make no mistake about it, you're either on Jim's side or the side of the baby-butcher."
- James Kopp Sentenced On May 9, 2003 James Kopp was sentenced to 25 years to life for murdering Dr. Barnett Slepian. Read accounts of his sentencing.
- Many prolife groups reject the gruesome fetus pictures
- A Cooked Up Crisis: The Pedophile Protection Scandal Antis make the same crank phone call 800 times and call it research.
- Glossary of Antiabortion Terms The antis have their own dense jargon.
- Operation Miscue Paying special attention to Operation Rescue and its successors, the article traces ten years in the history of the extreme antiabortion movement. Going from massive demonstrations and disruptions with a cast of thousands, to the splits and quarrels of a declining number of activists, many of whom now dedicate their energies to denouncing each other.
- Inventing a Link between Abortion and Breast Cancer The antis launch frivolous lawsuits based on a pseudo-scientific theory.
- The Antis go to the Winter Olympics At first their best scandal was the distribution of free condoms. But then they hit paydirt.
- Establishing Bloodguilt Missionaries to the Unborn and Operation Save America launch projects to harass churches that don't take a religiously correct stand on abortion.
- Riding on the Taliban's Coattails Like their Islamic extremist counterparts, American Christian extremists think the terror attacks on NYC and Washington DC are God's will.
- Wichita 2001 - A Replay of the "Summer of Mercy" The 1991 demonstrations mobilized tens of thousands of antis and resulted in thousands of arrests. In 2001 they had an average turnout of 500 people and few risked arrest. In 1991 prochoice people were not yet well organized and the larger number of reactionaries was overwhelming. Ten years later the prochoice side was ready.
- The Assassins and their helpers Articles and opinion pieces about the antiabortion assassins and other extremists.
- Those Musical Antis Don't be glum, Chum! Rock out to these antiabortion classics, like I Blew up the Clinic Real Good.
- Straight Shooters Newspaper account of the Banquet of the White Rose, a hardliner love fest for assassins and arsonists.
- Tours, Campaigns, and Crusades The antis hit the road to evangelize, brag, bully, or menace.
- Milwaukee Missionaries on Tour
They go forth to Share the Gospel, but there's always some proabort or moderate to insult or demean them. Stories of three propaganda tours: one in 1998, another in 2001, and one more in 2002.
- Milwaukee Antis in the News They've lately had more trouble than "saves".
- Guns at School In the wake of recent gun violence in the nation's schools, Pastor Matt admonishes students never to give up their guns.
- The Adventures of Reverend Ralph A leader on two fronts: anti-abortion campaigns and homophobic rants.
- Tie a Knot in it A right wing growth industry: hustling public money for religious campaigns against unmarried sex.
- The Honeymoon is Over Some antis figure Bush is a sell-out. Others believe we are at the beginning of a pro-life era.
- The Culture War: Replacing decadence with decency Righteous warriors mark for destruction all that is decadent, and plan to erect a sacred utopia in its place. Also, get hip to the Gospel Truth About Halloween!
- Is America a Christian Nation? What words are missing from our most famous documents?
- The Rocky Road to Martyrdom-Lite Don Benny Anderson is 22 years into his 42-year federal sentence for arson. He raised all the reactionaries' favorite idiot legal arguments in his defense: the courts lack jurisdiction, there's a fringe on the flag ... and they didn't work!
Hardcore Racists and Reactionaries
- Right-wing Militias and Patriots Armed and goofy.
- White Supremacy
Christian Identity, the Nazis, the Klan. Alive and flourishing, they forbid healthy Aryans to have abortions. Their old-fashioned race hate embarasses most other opponents of abortion rights.
Educational Materials and Reference Works of the Reactionaries
Progressive and Prochoice
- Art, Satire, and Humor See the Feminist Militia of Milwaukee, watch Bob the Gob hit below the Bible Belt. Exuberantly politically incorrect cartoons.
- Prochoice Links Clinic Defense people, feminists, prochoice activists, both secular and religious, from all over North America.
- Essays A set of short essays by the webmaster of this site, Fred Wallace.
- Other Progressive Links Anti-war, nonviolence, Human Rights.
Since 1992 I have been proud to join with like-minded friends to defend the right to choose. Several days a week we offer to escort anyone who asks to the door of a women's clinic. Groups of loud protesters, most of them men, shout and harass, sometimes even attempt to block patients from entering the clinic.
These pages of links to pro-choice and anti-choice sites are solely my work and do not reflect the views of any organization. I welcome email from people of any persuasion.
Search The Abortion Rights Struggle