If this is your first visit to this site . . .
This is a prochoice website. I wish to show you a side of the abortion rights struggle that some people may not understand. Though many years have passed since the Supreme Court's decision in Roe v. Wade, there are still a number of people who remain strongly opposed to abortion. They have a right to express themselves -- that doesn't bother me. But a small and very active core of the leaders of the antiabortion movement believe that they must end abortion by any means necessary, including bombs, guns, knives, arson and kidnapping. I have links to these peoples' websites so that you can see how they make their case in favor of antiabortion violence. You will also see on my pages links to racists and to people who are anti-gay. Those links are here to show you how these people are tied to the antiabortion movement. As well you'll find on my pages links to people and groups who are progressive and prochoice. Mostly I agree with them, but with all websites, when you enter their pages, you have left mine for the moment, and you are their guest.
If you'd like to read a more detailed statement and the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions, click here.
The Army of God
The AOG can't decide which it likes better: anti-gay violence or anti-abortion violence
Wisconsin Christians United "Wisconsin Christians United is a Christian mission which primarily exists to educate the citizens of Wisconsin concerning Biblical truth in relation to homosexuality, while also sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ with the homosexuals of our state."
Wisconsin's own "Fred Phelps" in action January 15, 2004 - Pseudonymous commentator Lois Carmen de Nominator traces Ralph Ovadal's antics.
Pastor fined in nude beach protest October 8, 2003 - "A state appeals court ruled a reverend can't be rude to the nude."
There must be a hole hate group can crawl in February 17, 2003 - Reporter Mike Nichols tells of Wisconsin Christians United's campaign in Sheboygan. "Ralph Ovadal and his hate group, Wisconsin Christians United, crawl out into the daylight every once in a while and bask in whatever reaction they can get. Ignoring them is not a bad strategy."
- Army of God's Rev. Bray Praises the Beheading of Gay Men November 29, 2002 - When the Saudis beheaded three gay men, the Rev. could hardly contain himself.
- Leviticus 20:13 The antigay page of The Army of God, who are otherwise infamous for endorsing murder and arson against abortion providers. The phrase "More proof homosexuals cannot keep their filthy hands off children" occurs 13 times on the same page, while "Proof children are not safe around homosexuals" comes up 33 times.
- Impeach Those Black-Robed Renegade Judges July 21, 2003 - "It was never the intent of the writers of the U.S. Constitution to condone, protect or in any way make normal or acceptable the sin of homosexuality."
- Extirpate homosexualization June 26, 2003 - P. Andrew Sandlin, a respected theorist of both the antiabortion and the antigay movements, says this about recent Supreme Court decisions: "Now is not the time to tone down criticism of cultural homosexualization. We must extirpate it."
- Traditional Values Coalition "Rev. Louis P. Sheldon is the Chairman and founder of Traditional Values Coalition."
- Preaching to Sodomites May 2, 2001 - Expedient Preaching is "nailing the unbeliever in his sin."
- The Tinkerbell Technicality June 10, 2003 - Agape Press accuses Disney World of scattering excessive Fairy Dust over the Magic Kingdom on the occasion of "Gay Days."
- Storming the Gates of the Homosexual Community in Charlotte May 17, 2003 - "Because we loved them, we confronted them. This was not hate speech. It was love." Operation Save America proves itself broad-minded enough to be opposed to abortion, Islam, and gays.
- Homosexual Lobbyist in White House? If So, Who Is It? May 9, 2003 - Genevieve Wood, spokesperson for Family Research Council, says "as soon as the identity of the homosexual lobbyist is determined, it will be made public. In the meantime, the White House continues to anger the pro-family lobby."
- Operation Shield April 2, 2003 - Missionaries to the Unborn, otherwise more infamous as anti-abortion bigots, are calling for the equivalent of Operation Rescue, but as a movement directed against the "Gay Agenda" in California schools.
- Attorney Calls on Justice Dept to Close Hate Site November 26, 2001 - An attorney calls for closing down a website that advocates "a horrible death by any means" for people opposed to "homosexual activism." The article compares the site, "usqueers.com" with Neal Horsley's "Nuremburg Files."
- Home Depot Denies Money to Ex-Gay Support Group November 2, 2001 - Focus on the Family complains that "a major home improvement chain is getting hammered for donating to a homosexual activist group and later turning down an organization that helps those wanting to leave
- Relief Efforts Used to Redefine Family October 19, 2001 - Focus on the Family complains that the Red Cross does wrong by offering aid to the domestic partners of victims of the September 11 attacks.
- Love Won Out A gay-straightening program of Focus on the Family. "A dynamic one-day conference addressing, understanding and preventing homosexuality." Conference speakers have variously "overcome lesbianism," "been involved in the homosexual community," and "left homosexuality in pursuit of Jesus Christ."
- ARREST HOMOSEXUALS: It's For Their Own Good Neal Horsley's contribution to a trendy new reactionary online mag. "Homosexuals have a huge Achilles' heel: They do really disgusting things."
- HOPE for Homosexuals.com  A creature of the Family Policy Network, the people who paid to have an airplane tow their banner over Disneyworld during the Gay Days celebration in June, 2001. Apparently taking the gay cure will strike you colorblind: their website is entirely in black and white, mostly text, and dull, dull, dull.
- Gays’ Allies Besiege Boy Scouts June 30, 2001 - "Despite the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling that the Boy Scouts of America is entitled to ban homosexual leaders, sympathetic groups are waging war against the Scouts."
- Unashamed & Associates The gay-bashing website of Evangelist Chuck Spingola. The pages could as well be called "All About Me," an unrelievedly and shamelessly self promoting site. Rev. Chuck gushes at length about going on a Freedom Tour with Matt Trewhella and the Missionaries to the Preborn.
- No Gay Flag Burning, Says Ohio March 24, 2003 - "Charles Spingola, 47, and Thomas Meyer, 49, were charged with open burning, a first-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail."
- Preachers should learn from their own sermons February 25, 2003 - Describing the a campus invasion of street preachers, a student columnist says "these extraordinary men have come to show us the path of salvation through Jesus Christ. How original. Of course, it is also very possible they just showed up to call us names.
- Uprising in Vermont An article from Focus on the Family's Citizen website that gives an inspiring account of how countrified plain folks are getting in touch with their homophobia by leading a roll-back campaign against Vermont's domestic partners policies.
- Perfect Enemies: The Religious Right, the Gay Movement, and the Politics of the 1990s A Washington Post article that sketches out surprising similarities in the origins and devlopment of both the religious right and the Gay movement, showing that the right wing of the '90s is in some respects the left wing of the '60s in a funhouse mirror.
- Anita Bryant, b. 1940, Singer and crusader By Dudley Clendinen, © St. Petersburg Times, published November 28, 1999. A cautionary tale for opportunist celebs who think a touch of homophobia would be a great career enhancement. In 1977 former Miss America contestant and entertainer Anita Bryant cranked up a hate campaign against gays. This made shame for her main advertiser, the marketers of Florida orange juice. Ms Bryant's career never recovered. Twenty-three years later, the Florida Orange Juice Marketing Board is playing it safe: their current spokesbeing is a computer-animated pastrami sandwich. If anything kinky is going on in the refrigerator after the light goes out, he has nothing to say about it.
- CBS shoves Dr. Laura into late night slots, or dumps her CNN.COM reports on November 7, 2000 that "Citing low ratings, CBS told its stations Tuesday to move the syndicated television series 'Dr. Laura' to a less desirable time slot or replace it altogether."
- The Religious Right and Anti-Gay Speech: Messengers of Love or Purveyors of Hate? Thoroughly documents gay-hating statements by right-wing luminaries including Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, The Family Research Council, Ex-Gay Ministries, and many more.
- Scott Lively Ministries "Defending Biblical Truth in an Age of Confusion." Lively is co-author of the book The Pink Swastika, which purports to document homosexual influences in National Socialism. Also available on this site Seven Steps to Recruit-Proof Your Child.
- Hitler And Homosexuality: Was Adolf Hitler A Sodomite Himself? September 13, 2002 - Not exclusively, says author Alan Stang.
The Rev. Fred Phelps and Godhatesfags.com
- The Westboro Baptist Church Home Page Learn the date and time of the next Love Crusades (= picketing times and places.) Dont' miss The Rod Of God Hath Smitten Fag America! where you can see all 87 pieces in the series "God Hates America!"
- Phelps To Erect Matthew Shepard Monument October 3, 2003 - The monument is to be a condemnation of the murdered gay student, placed in his home town.
- Casper set to reject anti-gay monument October 28, 2003 - Fred Phelps and the gang want to put an anti-gay monument in the public sqaure of Matthew Shepard's home town. The Casper city council won't stand for it.
- 'Pastor' Fred Phelps Aids The Homosexual Agenda The Traditional Values Coalition, itself homophobic, condemns Fred Phelps. "If Phelps did not exist, homosexuals would have to invent him. His efforts only aid the homosexual movement."
- I missed Fred Phelps June 9, 2003 - From Ames, Iowa an article that is both humorous and hard-hitting.
- Pies thrown at anti-gay protesters June 2, 2003 - Four people were arrested for throwing cream pies at the Phelps crew as they demonstrated in Des Moines, Iowa at a high school graduation.
- "Fags" frighten off Phelps April 7, 2003 - A coalition of gay groups in the UK credit themselves with scaring off Phelps and his bunch, who had threatened to disrupt the final UK performance of The Laramie Project.
- Church group protests Mr. Rogers association March 20, 2003 - How the Phelps bunch protested at the funeral of Fred Rogers, "Mr. Rogers."
- Area Baptists condemn anti-gay Kansas minister March 6, 2003 - Marshfield, WI Baptist congregations distance themselves from the Fred Phelps' hateful attacks on gays.
- Hundreds counterprotest for a hate-free Lexington November 25, 2002 - In Lexington, Kentucky one of the Phelps family walked on an American flag to make a political point. Counterprotesters outnumbered the antigay crowd by a ratio of 100 to 1.
- We can rise above minister of hatred November 16, 2002 - Anticpating a visit from the Phelps crew, a Lexington, KY columnist writes: "There's a thin line between defending freedom of speech and standing up for the right of hateful people to incite violence. Phelps has thrived by standing on that line."
- Angels block preacher's relatives in Newark November 15, 2002 - When members of the Phelps family came to Newark, California to disrupt a play, twenty people dressed as angels stood wing-to-wing to screen the protesters from public view.
- Kansas anti-gay church embarrasses Topekans November 4, 2002 - In Topeka, Kansas "police officers, pastors, community leaders and legislators say they are tired of being associated with the message of hate broadcast by Phelps, head of Westboro Baptist Church."
- Anti-gay protesters appear on Belt September 3, 2002 - A newspaper account of the Godhatesfags campaign visit to St. Joseph, Mo. They came to town to protest that a local bank is affiliated with a Canadian bank that "is sending signals that’s pro-homosexual."
- Kansans protest ceremony to unite local gay couple June 4, 2002 - Fred Phelp's troops travelled from Topeka, Kansas to Lincoln, Nebraska to shout insults at gay people.
- Loving God's "Hate": A Message to Topeka from Fred Phelps "The biggest lie of our time is that God loves everybody. He doesn't. He loves only the elect."
- OSA Confronts Heretics! June 15, 2002 - Operation Save America (the former Operation Rescue), themselves no slouches in the bigotry department, condemn Fred Phelp's band as "heretics," "These people spewed such vulgar and hateful speech toward anyone who disagreed with them."
- Westboro Baptist Church to picket Laura Bush December 24, 2001 - You need Adobe Acrobat to view this document. In Rev. Phelps' opinion "Mr. & Mrs. Bush are far more evil than 1000 bin Ladens!"
- Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church: In Their Own Words The Anti-Defamation League showcases WBC activities and statements on Jews, Gays, Blacks, Christians and Americans.
- God Hates Figs! A parody of Fred Phelps' bunch. Fire up your Acrobat Reader to take in two fig-denouncing tracts -- persuasive little booklets that would provoke Jack Chick to fits of dyspeptic envy. Avoid the sinful fig, consume only safely holy foods containing lard and okra.
The Adventures of Reverend Ralph
Why Is the Church Silent... Again? November 25, 2002 - Pastor Ovadal devotes the first half of a lengthy essay to the history of his antiabortion activities. In the second half he exhorts true believers to rise up against Sodomites. "I fear the only way the Church may wake up is when they hear the clanking of their own chains, riven in place by a cadre of sexually perverse task masters wearing pink swastikas."
Mel White: A ‘Wolf’ on the Loose in Lynchburg October 24, 2002 - Pastor Ralph sounds the alarm in this essay that he distributed to thousands of Lynchburg, VA homes, warning of "upcoming pro-homosexual activities by Mel White and his group Soulforce."
Ovadal Watch: Is Someone You Know a Bugger? A Ralph Ovadal anti-gay tract is shown in a column on the left. On the right, commentary and rebuttal by Ovadal Watch.
Pastor fined $1,000 for preaching the priceless gospel of Jesus Christ May 30, 2002 - Press release of Wisconsin Christians United. It doesn't mention the names he called a woman during the incident.
Tape Shows Ovadal Calling Woman 'Heifer,' 'Whore' May 30, 2002 - "Judge Orders Preacher To Pay $1,000."
Billboard campaign angers homosexuals, politically correct In 1998 anti-abortion activist Ralph Ovadal began to expand into the gaybashing market. The Rev. really loves homosexuals, his feelings becoming most intense when he relishes the details of their eternal torment in hell.
Anti-gay Billboards Ruffle Madison's Feathers July 23, 1998 - "Yard signs popped up around town: 'Madison Supports Its Lesbian & Gay Community.'"
Christian activists block road to nude beach Rev. Ralph and 30 of his "Godly Men" deny public access to "a slice of Sodom and Gomorrah", namely Mazomanie Beach, the only public recreation site in Wisconsin that is "clothing optional."
The Naturist Action Committee The Committee summarizes recent activities of Rev. Ovadal and his followers. The NAC advises its members "to avoid the entrapment techniques of Ralph Ovadal and his devious and cowardly followers. Do not respond to the provocations."
Minuteman Alert Pastor Ralph Ovadal summarizes his ministry at "Cocktails and Dreams," the Juneau, Wisconsin nude dance bar. Just in case you thought he was only against gay sex.
Unneighborly dispute tests speech, hate-crime limits January 11, 2001 - Ralph Ovadal and his WCU appear in Monroe, WI to support a man accused of harassing his lesbian neighbors.
Gay, lesbian event draws protest: Group pickets, mails flyers to residents The Beloit Daily News describes a WCU visit to Beloit College. They quote the Rev. Ovadal: "We're immediately characterized as evil people. We don't harm anyone. We're just out to spread a message that used to be acceptable decades ago."
Ovadal Fighting To Display Aborted Fetus Signs January 15, 2002 - A court has declared the large sign ordinance of the City of Monroe to be unconstitutional. Ovadal says the new sign proposal is simply the old one dusted off.
Ovadal's appearance in Mount Horeb rattles students March 22, 2002 - The Rev. O. had heard there was a gay-straight alliance at Mount Horeb Highschool.
Gay Resources Online
- September 11, 2001: Gay Victims & Heroes Pictures and capsule biographies of more than a dozen people.
- AFA Exposed "This site is produced to combat, challenge and correct the lies, distortions and fear-based anti-gay activism of the American Family Association (AFA)." The site is a project of the Triangle Foundation, Michigan's statewide gay rights advocacy organization.
- Gay.com "Connecting the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities." For news of interest to the gay community, click on articles listed under "Gay.com Headline News." Gay Watch/What's Gay on TV This Week means you don't have to depend on the fundamentalists to identify all the interesting programs.
- Gay Christian Online "designed to provide uplifting positive information, Love, support, encouragement and affirmation for gays and lesbians who seek God and Jesus Christ."
- Called Out "for lesbian and gay Christians who have been Called Out as members of the Body of Christ"
"An Online Magazine for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered Christians."
- Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Religion Documents More than 50 links. Some of the titles: "The Bible is an Empty Closet," "Does Jesus Really Condemn Homosexuality?", "Gay Bible Interpretation."
- Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan
Community Churches Official WebRing A ring with 75 member sites, friendly to gay, lesbian, transgender, and straight-but-not-narrow.